Please enable cookies in your browser.
Back to Job List
Embedded Energy Manager
Toronto Dominion Centre, Toronto, ON, CAN
Build your future with Cadillac Fairview!
The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is one of North America's largest investors, owners and managers of commercial real estate. For more than 50 years, Cadillac Fairview has been leading the way in commercial real estate with innovative design, development and management.
We take pride in offering comprehensive benefits and progressive compensation packages that reward and recognize talent. Our tailored learning and development programs are designed to ensure our people continuously learn and grow.
The Embedded Energy Manager role champions all efforts to reduce energy consumption at the Toronto-Dominion Centre. Primary duties include identifying and recommending energy saving opportunities, developing and executing a plan to reduce the property’s energy consumption to achieve targets as well as preparing the annual utility budgets.
- Develop and successfully execute a plan to reduce the Toronto-Dominion Centre’s energy consumption to achieve the targets established by the Green At Work program, the OPA Embedded Energy Manager agreement, as well as industry benchmarks such as 20by15.
- Prepare annual utility budgets and monitor conformance to those budgets.
- Ensure consistent, high- standard of operational performance of six office towers at the Toronto-Dominion Centre.
- Implement a database and an energy tracking and monitoring process that captures current monthly energy consumption and an electrical load inventory of major equipment. The EM will develop and deliver training to property staff on the energy tracking and monitoring system as needed.
- Review existing energy study reports and perform a high-level assessment, including a walk through audit of each major process area of each site, to identify energy saving opportunities and to identify which systems will require more detailed evaluations.
- Review and provide a description of the control systems, operating schedules, and maintenance practices at the property to identify operational savings. Develop maintenance practices and programs to enhance energy efficiency. Examples would include: reprogramming controls to shutdown equipment and lighting when not required, developing a checklist to ensure that all shutdown procedures are properly implemented and followed.
- Identify, assess, prioritize and recommend to property senior management energy-saving opportunity projects including both capital improvement projects and operational and maintenance changes. This will include the preparation of business cases to justify capital expenditures and the completion of applications to Local Distribution Company (LDC) Conservation & Demand Management (CDM) initiatives and to other agencies to maximize funding available for energy-saving projects.
- Coordinate the implementation of energy-saving projects, including the planning, budgeting, and scheduling for the design, installation, commissioning, and verification of energy efficiency projects. Work with the project manager assigned for large capital projects.
- Work with the Director, Operations to recommend a strategy for the Measurement & Verification of energy-saving projects at a property level.
- Work to create and foster a sustainable energy management culture at the property and provide an avenue for property staff to recognize and report issues and ideas regarding energy conservation and efficiency.
- Participate in the property Employee Engagement Committee to discuss a property awareness program to promote energy conservation and communicate the energy efficiency initiatives undertaken.
- Coordinate and assist with site inspections by the LDC/ OPA from time to time of the various measures implemented. Collect relevant information regarding additional electrical energy use (equipment purchases, schedule changes, occupancy changes or construction).
- Complete Quarterly Reports for the Ontario Power Authority.
- Prepare the annual property utility budget, taking into account the planned projects to reduce the energy consumption through the year. Process all utility invoices and monitor conformance to budget.
- Provide support to other property tower owners to help understand energy consumption and identify gaps in performance.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a relevant field of study (e.g. Electrical/Mechanical/Energy/Environmental/ Engineering, Building Environmental Science, Statistics, etc.)
- A professional designation as a Certified Engineering Technician/Technologist (CET), a Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or a licensed professional engineer of Ontario (P.Eng).
- A minimum of 5 years’ progressive experience in an energy reduction-focused role preferably within the commercial real estate field.
- Strong knowledge in HVAC, lighting and building automation systems in relation to system energy efficiency performance, operation and maintenance, and life-cycle costing.
- Previous experience with writing technical reports.
- Proven ability to communicate and present to all levels of management.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- High proficiency in office-computer applications (i.e. Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio, Project and PowerPoint, AutoCAD, MSSQL, etc.).
- Strong background in industrial energy use and energy management.
- Must enroll in energy management-related training programs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong data analysis
- Team facilitation and leadership
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals at various levels
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills and proven ability to develop practical and creative solutions.
- Excellent technical report writing skills
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills
- Aptitude for basic accounting
If you’re looking to join a team where we are excited to bring out the best in our people and share a common commitment to each other, our clients and outpacing our competition, then you may be ready for this opportunity.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Bachelor of Engineering
Environmental & Related
Certificates & Designations, Engineering Technician / Technologist
Engineering Technician / Technologist
Environmental & Related
Ability to Multi-task
Meets Deadlines and Commitments
Business Knowledge and Improvement
Focus on Continuous Improvement
Strong Knowledge of External/Industry Activity
Collaborates with Others, Maintains Productive Relationships
Committed to Customers
Balanced and Proactive Attitude
Clear and Concise (oral and written communication)
Demonstrates Functional Expertise
Microsoft Office Applications
Project Management Skills
Leads People and Teams
Creates Morale and Team Spirit
Develops Direct Reports and Others