Toronto - 20 Queen Office, ON, CAN
Strat Planning & Ent Risk
The Manager, Enterprise Risk will work with the Director, Strategic Planning & Risk to oversee the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program evolution and related monitoring or insights generation.
The role is important in monitoring risks that may impact the successful execution of CF’s strategic plan, as they apply to current markets or industries the organization operates in, or future opportunities it is exploring. As such, this role will collaborate closely with the Manager, Strategic Planning to ensure alignment on required quarterly reporting and possible new risk areas tied to new business opportunities. This role will also collaborate with various internal departments, at all levels of management, including Operations, Investments, Development, Data & Innovation, and Legal to align on not only KPIs to monitor but related risk scenarios to track.
What you will deliver:
- Working with the Director of Strategic Planning & Risk, drive the evolution of the ERM program by:
- proactively monitoring appropriate risks and working with relevant business areas to stay on top of evolving CF processes and identify possible issues where appropriate
- monitoring industry best practices to better understand areas of opportunity to enhance the program
- working collaboratively with other business areas to ensure appropriate scenarios are being created and tracked within
- creating executive level communications around the program (e.g. quarterly updates, KPI changes, etc.)
- Work with the Manager, Strategic Planning to ensure alignment across strategic monitoring programs – i.e. ensuring ERM is integrated with and aligned to all facets of strategic planning as appropriate.
- Support the above with proactive & reactive research, analysis, and insights that facilitate the delivery of CF’s strategic plan especially as it applies to the evolving future of all current and planned CF asset types and related risks. This could include analyses regarding the state and related risks of new growth opportunities the organization may be considering, evolving asset type-specific trends that may impact performance of current and future CF assets, evolving corporate and social responsibility direction, new innovation concepts, and business model impacts from industry changes and new trends. To create these insights, the Manager will need to:
- translate high-level project requirements into an outline of required research and analyses to satisfy the project’s deliverables; establish work plans, monitor progress against goals, and conduct status updates with the Director of Strategic Planning & Risk to adjust approaches as required
- manage the day-to-day delivery of project/analysis insights, including scope definition, priority setting, research, analysis, insight synthesis, report creation and communication.
- develop and manage evaluation and tracking frameworks as they relate to scenario analyses within current processes, current and future markets, pilot concepts, and other business model impacts
- provide reliable and timely interpretation of analysis and financial models that is synthesized for various levels of decision makers, including senior management and the executive team
- Support the facilitation of brainstorming workshops with Strategic Insights & Risk and other CF department participants, often senior management as well as the executive team where needed to support strategic decisions around the ERM program, key risks areas, related KPIs, etc.
- Collaborate with project team members from across the business to gain input on approach, analyses, and the feasibility of recommendations
- Stay current on, and proactively share new risk related industry trends or disruptors in commercial real estate across all asset classes, geographies and innovation concepts that CF currently owns and operates in or ones that may be future opportunities, and technology advances/changes impacting these industries and markets
- Prepare and present memoranda and presentations for senior management, including the executive team
What your strengths are:
- Demonstrated business expertise to ensure that high-quality results, insights and objective recommendations are provided to senior stakeholders on a timely and proactive basis that will impact the formulation of organizational strategies
- Solid interpersonal skills and proven track record of influencing, excellent verbal and written communication, naturally curious and confident
- Solid critical thinking and problem solving skills with the ability to fuse insightful thinking with disciplined execution to achieve innovative, industry-leading ideas and strategies
- Rigorous analytical capabilities to ensure accurate, concise, and timely deliverables
- Ability to thrive in a team environment inspiring collaboration and thoughtful debate
- A motivated self-starter attitude with a strong work ethic and a high level of attention to detail
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and manage priorities in a demanding and continually changing fast-paced environment, often with multiple or competing deadlines
- Exhibits an excitement to try new things, a strong action orientation, decisiveness, and inquisitiveness about new opportunities for the future
What you need to succeed:
- An undergraduate or post-graduate degree in Business/Commerce or Real Estate
- A minimum 7+ years of work experience in a multi-sector real estate, consulting, retail, private equity, risk management, or investment banking firm in a financial analysis, internal consulting, corporate responsibility risk management or corporate strategy capacity
- Successful track record of contributing to impactful strategy development projects with wide corporate implications is preferred
- Demonstrated experience in data visualization
- Highly proficient analytical/quantitative/financial modeling skills in Microsoft Excel, as well as presentation creation skills in PowerPoint; Tableau, ARGUS Valuation DCF software skills considered an asset
- Possession of (or working towards) a CFA / MBA or other professional designation considered an asset
- Retail, office, residential industry intelligence knowledge an asset